Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls Recipe!

Per request, here is the recipe I use for Cinnamon Rolls:
Shirley's Rolls
(Shirley is my grandma and this is the recipe she has used to make literally thousands of rolls and cinnamon rolls over the years)
Heat just to a boil:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups milk
Remove from heat and let cool to almost room temperature, then add:
1 package or 2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
Stir and let sit for a few minutes.
For the dry ingredients mix together 4 cups flour (we use white flour for this recipe but whole wheat or half wheat/white is good too)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix the dry ingredients with the milk/sugar/shortening and then let rise for two hours or till doubled (this dough is very soft but that is okay. Don't add too much flour when kneading or it makes it too heavy). Then knead. Roll the dough out and spread softened butter on it, generously! I use an extra salt shaker to shake the cinnamon on with and it works great! My family likes lots so I put lots of cinnamon on for them. Then I spread plenty of brown sugar on the top! The next step is rolling it up then I use... :ahem: .... floss to cut the rolls. It works GREAT! A knife just tends to smash the rolls. Let rise till doubled again and then bake in a 400 degree oven. I have a hard time baking these evenly so I bake them for 7 minutes then 8 more minutes with foil gently laid over them. That way they get done through without burning the tops!
I hope this long post doesn't scare you away from making them! We also make dinner rolls with this bread recipe and they are wonderful, too!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bisceglia Family said...

Thanks Amber! We'll have to try them. Somebody brought cinnamon rolls to our churches fellowship meal on Sunday and we girls decided we simply must make some!